Saturday, January 05, 2008

Slept like a baby...

Once again, we're having howling winds and lashing rain. To watch Fox News, you'd think we're all pinned under collapsed buildings and fallen trees. But compared to the last storm or the one last year, this one seems less destructive by far. Easy for me to say, isn't it, when it's not my house that was crushed by a fir tree? Nor was my garage blown out onto a highway, as happened near Brooks.

Normally, when the wind sounds like a train going by, I can't relax and sleep is fitful at best. Too many huge limbs have fallen from the cedar tree and missed (or kissed) the house. But after beheading it last year (yes, I know it's sad and ugly) we're pretending it's no longer dangerous. Sure, the whole thing could go over - it's still fifty feet tall and five feet in diameter, after all. I think it's just that we did all we could to make ourselves safe, and now we give ourselves a pass on worrying.

Tempting fate? Maybe...

No comments: