Wednesday, April 09, 2008

I'm not grousing . . . really!

It's just that I was supposed to go to class this morning and a volunteer gig this afternoon, but stayed home because Corey & Kevin came a day early to start sanding and puttying the floors. That wouldn't have been a big deal, except that:
  • they needed two 220v hookups, so I couldn't dry the last load of clothes for our trip tomorrow;
  • then, it turned out that our flight was cancelled (yeah, American Airlines), so I didn't need those clothes, after all;
  • Corey & Kevin ran floor sanders (LOUDLY), filling the entire house with very, very, very fine sawdust, including the clothes I had managed to dry before they started;
  • so, I set up a table in the woodshed with my laptop, a cell phone & a giant latte;
  • after four hours on the phone, I got a delightful American agent who got us booked for Friday instead of Thursday - disappointing, but not tragic;
  • she suggested we could move our return a day, without charge, to make up for leaving a day late;
  • I spent another three hours on the phone trying to make that happen;
  • at 6 PM, I snapped and went out to Burgerville (you've got to try their Yukon Gold fries!);
  • I got an automated phone message that my flight had been cancelled (the new one), and would I like this lovely one on Saturday? I said, "No!";
  • Richard came on the line (by now it's 7:30 PM), and asked would I rather fly tomorrow?
  • the new flight is actually better than the original one, for us and for our family;
  • I said, "Yes, please!", opened a beer & started packing.

No comments: